Listening to: A Straw Man
Reading: Memes from My Facebook Feed
Writing about: Reasonable discourse, talking like humans
What is a Straw Man:
User One: I really Love Labor Day. I had a great time eating grilled foods with my family.
User Two: The Labor movement is evil, it always has been.
User Three: Yeah, you should have remembered the troops.
User Four: Meat is murder, and you’re evil.
User Five: If you love your family so much, why did you vaccinate them?
User Six: Not all of us have the luxury of taking a holiday. I hate you!
User Seven: You may have enjoyed labor day, but my favorite Pet Issue still matters more.
Tips forTalking Like Humans:
- Not everyone is talking about “your thing.”
- That doesn’t mean “your thing” isn’t important.
- No one has ever changed their mind because of a meme.
- Disagree, that’s fine. But do it in a straightforward and honest way.
- Listen well, respond directly, repeat.
- The internet is not a good place to talk about this.
- You probably don’t want to talk about it on the internet.
- Are you on the internet? Maybe hold your tongue.
- Ok fine, so you’re gonna post something. At least watch your tone.
The Part I keep deleting (Who’s Life Matters)
Lost My Nerve.
Deleted it, and giving up.
This is the internet, I probably shouldn’t bring it up here.